EXECUTIVE DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
Karuna-Shechen USA seeks an executive development director, who is well versed in the field of humanitarian activities, to work closely with donors, fundraise, and communicate the values of the organization.
Karuna-Shechen is an international non-profit humanitarian organization (NGO) founded in 2000 by Matthieu Ricard (www.matthieuricard.org). We work in India, Nepal, and Tibet to provide education, health care, and social services to disadvantaged individuals and communities that lack access to these vital services. We place special emphasis on the empowerment of women and girls and our work ethic is “compassion in action.”
We work with field teams and programs established by our global organization and in the field. We have an active presence on social media and encourage small donor participation as well as relationship building with larger donors and foundations.
The position calls for someone who shares our commitment to, and appreciation of, the culture and philosophy of the Himalayan people. We are looking for someone who seeks an enriching experience, who welcomes challenge and responsibilities, and has the skills and connections to move Karuna-Shechen forward.
The Executive Development Director reports to the Board of Directors and has strategic and operational responsibility. S/he spearheads and is in charge of development and donor relations.
We are a small NGO. The job does not entail field program design or management.
Location: Anywhere in the USA (we work remotely).
Management and Leadership
- Seek new opportunities, maintain and support a strong board of directors, and build board involvement with strategic direction. Actively engage and energize partnering organizations, board members, and funders.
- Ensure effective systems to track progress and evaluate success that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents, including database management.
- Create and implement strategies to move the organization forward, and develop and achieve strategic objectives.
- Represent the goals, mission, and vision of the organization with passion, knowledge, and understanding.
Fundraising and Communications
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with new and existing donors, including individuals, charitable foundations, and the corporate sector.
- Organize special events to raise the visibility of, and increase the base of, Karuna-Shechen.
- Develop and plan social media strategies and campaigns and synchronize, when appropriate, with our KS Europe French communication team.
- Write grant proposals and develop annual and planned giving strategies.
- A collaborative, open-minded team player, self-motivated with a passion for helping the people of the Himalayas.
- A good public speaker who can communicate our vision. Brings to the job contacts and relationships with other networks.
- Comprehensive experience in humanitarian NGO development and fundraising initiatives and strategies.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills. Knowledge of written French (preferred but not required).
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, and work independently and as part of a team. work, flexibility, and collaboration skills – required.
- College Degree (at least a B.A.). Solid computer skills: proficiency in Microsoft, Excel/Word/PowerPoint/ Social Media.
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Volunteers Needed In the New York Area
Volunteer for Matthieu Ricard’s talk on Global Compassion: Beyond the Self
October 27 (save the date!)